|User Comments (Most recent at top) Log-in to add your own comments|
Comments could include historical notes, advice on how to find the location, or personal recollections.
|Damon||Opened by the London General Omnibus Company 11.05.1914 with the code ''AN''. Closed 23.01.1915 and requisitioned by the War Department. It became a branch of the Royal Army Service Corps at Grove Park. L.G.O.C. B-types requisitioned for war service went via Grove Park on their way to France for war service. After release by the W.D. the L.G.O.C. handed the garage to Thomas Tilling to operate services previously run from Tilling's garage at Lewisham Salisbury Yard, opening on 03.10.1920. Salisbury Yard was between Molesworth Street and Lewisham High Street and had been building horse buses since 1899. It was used as a bus garage from 1906 until the move to Catford when it reverted to bus building and was known as ''Obelisk Works''. Obelisk Works later transferred to the L.P.T.B. when they took over the London operations of Thomas Tilling. There was also a Tliing body-building works in Old Road, Lee relatively nearby. Tilling's code letter ''L'' was transferred from the Salisbury Yard premises to the Catford premises. This was then changed to the current ''TL'' in about April 1924 to prevent confusion with the General's garage at Loughton. Catford has grown over the years with the site stretching out and swallowing adjacent premises. During the war buses were parked around the local streets to spread them out in case of a bomb strike.|
Note: Edited by Damon, 01/01/14, 22:09.
|Tue 17/12/2013, 14:14|
|Ray||Sited on Bromley Road ('Bellingham'), opposite Newquay Road, the office are on the first floor above the original entrance. There was stores warehouse here in LT/Selkent days (since demolished to make more parking areas)||Sat 03/11/2007, 15:25|