|User Comments (Most recent at top) Log-in to add your own comments|
Comments could include historical notes, advice on how to find the location, or personal recollections.
|Damon||Started life as a horse tram depot with the London Tramways Company 29/1/1872. Passed to the London County Council Tramways from 1/1/1899. Running electric trams from 24/1/1904 until 1906 when it became a workshop and a garage for the road vehicle fleet (service vehicles). This was brief as the site was requistioned for war use from 1914 to 1919. After the war it was used a a permanent way depot and resumed its role as a road vehicle garage. In 1922 it was used to assemble E1 tramcars 1727-1776. After this it becaame a workshop for the L.C.C.'s electrical department. Under the L.P.T.B. the site was used as the main permanent way depot for the south division of the tramways. During 1950 the site was vacated for rebuilding into a bus garage and the permanent way depot took up temporary accomodation on a site in front of the bus garage in Bowles Road (P) until the end of London's tram in July 1952. Although it became a motor bus garage it was originally plannned for it to be Trolleybus Depot to replace Abbey Wood Tram Shed. After rebuilding the new bus garage opened 06/01/1952 and closed 22/03/1969. After closure the building survived intact for many years before eventaul demolition.|
Note: Edited by Damon, 03/01/14, 21:30.
|Fri 03/01/2014, 21:00|
|Ray||Sited in Bellenden Road (where Lidl's now stands) 01-639 5081.||Sun 24/06/2007, 17:53|