|User Comments (Most recent at top) Log-in to add your own comments|
Comments could include historical notes, advice on how to find the location, or personal recollections.
|Damon||Lift & Escalators had a store here at one time having moved from their site at Alperton which was then used as an extension to Alperton garage (ON).||Tue 31/12/2013, 15:44|
|Damon||It appears that a horse bus stables of the London General Omnibus Company occupied a part of this site. Opened by 24/6/1874 with horse bus code ''S'' operating horses until 14/12/1906. Housed Clarkson Steam Buses from 22/10/1906 until 2/5/1907 and appears have re-opened 24/6/1907 to 11/1911. The code ''S'' was also used on the steam/motor buses. The London County Council opened an electric tram car shed here from 15/12/1906 using a site transferred from the education department. This was extended from the end of 1911, presumably onto the L.G.O.C. site. There was a large permanent way depot at the rear of the site which was later built over when the shed was extended to house Trolleybuses which ran from 9/6/1940. From 11/11/1959 Poplar became a bus garage running Routemasters. The garage finally closed 2/11/1985 and the building is still standing today. There have been mutterings about re-opening this huge garage but it remains closed.|
Note: Edited by Damon, 31/12/13, 15:43.
|Tue 31/12/2013, 14:33|
|Ray||Sited in Leven Road by the River Lea 01-987 5194. (In)Famous for various things - Trams, then Trolleys, Tunnel & PLA RTL's/RT's (1961/1968); 747P (later 746P); RFW's; RM's awaiting service (early 60's); stored SA & Q trolleybuses, RLH, RTL, RTW, RF, MB, DMS & SMD; Tree Pruner 1935F; even TT1-5 being fitted with reinforced tyres. Spent many a happy hour there. Although LOTS made a 'song & dance' over the closure of AM & AW 34 years ago this weekend (News on website 1/11/2015) there was no mention of Poplar closing 30 years ago yesterday. Still standing after all those years - and looking good! Ray 3/11/2015
||Sun 24/06/2007, 18:03|