|User Comments (Most recent at top) Log-in to add your own comments|
Comments could include historical notes, advice on how to find the location, or personal recollections.
|Damon||The code AH was previously used by London Central's garage at Ceres Street in Kingston from about 1913 until closure. (open from about 1911 until 26.10.1914).||Thu 12/12/2013, 20:52|
|Damon||Originally a paper mill on land at the back of villas at 20 - 26 Nunhead Lane. Numbered 18A and approached by a long access this housed the horse buses of the Andrews Star Omnibus Company who did not survive the mechaisation of London's buses. Nearby Soloman's Passage is named after proprietor Solomom Andrews. Bought by the National Steam Car Company in early 1911 they demolished the villas and built a large bus garage (120 buses). Operated until 18.11.1919 when the National moved out of London. Taken over by the L.G.O.C. and re-opened 21.04.1920. Remained in use with the L.P.T.B and sucessors until 05.01.1954. Then used as a workshop and miscellaneous vehicle base by LT until around 1958. Later used by Banfield's Coaches and then Prince Marshall's Obsolete Fleet. Since demolished and replaced by flats. A replica of the clock tower forms a nice reminder of its former use.||Thu 12/12/2013, 20:44|
|Ray||Sited in Nunhead Lane, a block of flats now occupies the site but can be established by the clock tower (part of which came from the old garage) thereon. The garage was used to overhaul SV's after closure in 1954 prior to sale in 1958||Fri 10/08/2007, 21:25|